Friday, October 29, 2010

Dr. Dog - Heart It Races (Architecture In Helsinki Cover)



I love covers. Well, good ones anyway. Sometimes it pains me to think that there will only ever be one version of most songs out there. Although it also pains me to hear bad covers of songs that just ruin something that was so great, fo example what Mike Posner did to ELO's 'Evil Woman'. Good covers, though, can really express an appreciation and give new life to a song through different artistic visions. Like this one. I used to be pretty into folky-kinda music but then somewhere along the way I just got super-tired of it, it seemed like Iron & Wine were the only people doing really cool and original stuff. Now there's only a handful of folk bands that I can tolerate, very few of them being relatively new bands. However Dr. Dog is one that has really been pushing the boundaries of their chosen genre, probably because they have such an appreciation of good music outside the folk scene.
I'm not gonna say that folk-music is going to make a comeback any time soon, but if it did, Dr. Dog would be the ones responsible for it. Kudos.

No comments:

Post a Comment